STANDING ON SACRED GROUND (2013)
Directed by Christopher McLeod
Indigenous communities around the world and in the U.S. resist threats to their sacred places—the original protected lands—in a growing movement to defend human rights and restore the environment. In this four-part documentary series, native people share ecological wisdom and spiritual reverence while battling a utilitarian view of land in the form of government megaprojects, consumer culture, and resource extraction as well as competing religions and climate change. Narrated by Graham Greene, the series exposes threats to native peoples’ health, livelihood, and cultural survival in eight communities around the world.
Active Cinema Participation
At MVFF 2013:
- All eight episodes (four hours total) were presented at three separate screenings over three days
- Screenings were presented in association with community partners Marin American Indian Alliance and Marin Interfaith Council
- Two of the screenings were followed by panel discussions with guests including filmmaker Christopher McLeod; Danil Mamyev, founder of Uch Enmek Nature Park, Altai Republic of Russia; Caleen Sisk, Chief of the Winnemem Wintu Tribe of Northern California; Roy Ladouceur; and Mike Marcredi
- The film was included in the Festival’s Education program, with a screening for school groups
Active Cinema Impact
- Active Cinema helped the filmmakers to clarify their thinking around how to mobilize viewers
- They created an outreach postcard with their film information on the front and a “What you can do” outline on the back.
- They got dozens of new people to sign up for their Sacred Land Defense Team at the MVFF screenings and have continued to send action alerts to them.
- The film took part in CFI Education’s Environmental Youth Forum in February 2014, with the director in attendance.
How to See the Film
The films will air on public television stations around the country in November 2015 in honor of Native American Heritage Month. Check here for the broadcast schedule: http://standingonsacredground.org/broadcast
The film is also available for purchase through Bullfrog Films: http://standingonsacredground.org/buy-dvds
Or you can make a donation to the Sacred Land Film Project and receive the film as a thank you gift: https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=3d2573
How to Stay Active
Sign up for the Sacred Land Defense Team mailing list to stay connected to the issues addressed in the films: http://sacredland.org/home/general/involved/index.html
Visit the film’s website for more information: http://StandingOnSacredGround.org/join